1960 JAGUAR XK-150 FHC
The Jaguar XK150 is a sports car produced by Jaguar between 1957 and 1961. It replaced the XK140. Initially it was available in Fixed Head Coupé (FHC) and Drop Head Coupé (DHC) versions. The Open Two Seater roadster (OTS) was not launched until 1958. Token rear seats were fitted in the coupés.
MODEL: XK-150 FHC
Although having a family resemblance to the XK120 and XK140, the XK150 was radically modernized. A one-piece windscreen replaced the split screen, and the wing line no longer dropped as much over the doors. The bonnet was widened, opened down to the wings, and on the roadster the bulkhead was moved back 4 inches (102 mm) to make the bonnet longer. The car was available at various times in Red, Pearl Grey, White, Indigo Blue, Claret, Cotswold Blue, Black, Mist Grey, Sherwood Green, Carmen Red, British racing Green, Cornish grey and Imperial Maroon. In the interior, the XK140’s walnut dashboard was replaced by one trimmed in leather. On the early Drop Head Coupés, an aluminium centre dash panel with an X pattern engraving was fitted which looked similar to the early 3.8 E-type. It was discontinued after June 1958.
Thinner doors gave more interior space. On the front parking lights, which were located above the turn signal, a little red light was placed to remind the driver the lights were on. The standard engine, the same as fitted to the XK140, was the 3.4 litre DOHC Jaguar straight-6 rated at 180 SAE bhp at 5750 rpm but most cars were fitted with the SE engine that had a modified cylinder head with larger exhaust valves rated at 210 SAE bhp at 5500 rpm. Twin 1.75-inch (44 mm) SU HD6 carburettors were fitted. Four-wheel Dunlop 12 in (305 mm) disc brakes appeared for the first time although it was theoretically possible to order a car with drums. Either wire wheels or disc wheels could be specified. Suspension and chassis were very similar to that on the XK140.
Steering was by rack and pinion; power steering was not offered. Production ended in October 1960, and totaled 2265 Roadsters, 4445 Fixed Head Coupés and 2672 Drop Head Coupés.
This was the 59th to last of the 4,445 XK150 Fixed Head Coupes completed. In addition to be a an extremely late example, it is also a highly optioned example order from new with both a Borg Warner, three-speed automatic transmission and the highest out-put, high compression optional engine available with 9.0:1 compression ratio pistons rather than the standard 7.0:1 or optional 8.0:1 units normally fitted. This car was fully restored and reconditioned several years ago and has been used sparingly since by the private Museum Collection Staff that serviced and cared for it.